ScootDawg Forums

ScootDawg Forums (http://www.scootdawg.net/index.php)
-   Pictures (http://www.scootdawg.net/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   2014 Carolina CON (http://www.scootdawg.net/showthread.php?t=54417)

cheapeto 07-10-2014 08:55 AM

2014 Carolina CON

5 Attachment(s)
I tried to do this last week or so, and got befuddled with pics and what not.

I know many are haters of branded scoots, so I really hesitated about posting some photos of my trip on my PS250 2006 Honda BigRuckus.

I left my house in York PA June 18th @ 8:00am running down through Hanover on RT194 down into Maryland to RT26, then to RT340/15, then staying on RT340 to down around Sturats Draft where I picked up RT11, and blazed into Roanoke VA around 1:30 pm or so.

I had a room booked in Salem VA just a few miles away. Well due to traffic and numbskullery on my part, and lots of construction, it took me a couple of hours to find the HolidayInn.
I also had to do a couple of exits on I-81 that was PACKED and traffic was just flying along. It was a bit unnerving as I was WOT and the tractor trailers were really bearing down on me, but my exit came up, and I got to laugh about it...kind of.

The next day I whizzed down a crazy crazy road called 12:00 Oclock Knob Road that leads down to RT221. I believe that ran me into North Carolina, where I picked up RT18/16, then to 16, then to I-40 for small expressway run getting into Hickory around 1:00pm or so.

I got checked into my hotel, unloaded my bag, got some food, then went to find the RedRoofInn where most of the CON folks would be at.

As I got there, now remember, I've never met any of these folks, most are from TotalRuckus, and have known each other for a long time. Most were younger guys on Rucks, Groms, Zumas, an SYM, and 4 or 5 Big rucks.

As I get off my little pony, a guy comes up introduces himself, I tell him who I am, and he says, man I cant stay for the big Saturday run, do you feel like going for quick cruise, with me and another guy. Sure will!!
I was blown away how fast that 2T, Zuma was!! I had to work the road hard to keep up with him.
It was well past dark when we got back, and great fun!!

Next morning, we did about a 110 miles of killer nice roads, going to the W.Scott Resevoir, all with very little traffic.

The next day, we started to go to Blowing Rock, since the Big Ruckus's run interference for the small cc scooters, we hang back a bit, and follow mostly.

One dude replaced his ruckus 50 motor with a 150 gy6, and first his hose from the airfilter to carb split, after about a hour and half beside the road, and finding parts and places we got him running again.
However lady luck had different ideas for the day.

As we're getting close to the Brown Mountain Overlook, the lead bike, got a 911 notice from his phone we had 2 minutes before a storm cell was going to crash into us.

And MY god did it pour rain, biblical kind of downpour. (And god bless Frogg Toggs) I was behind the gy6, when he went to side of the road, as it was raining so hard, it filled his carb with water!! And of course shut him down, so he pushed it up to the overlook.

No phone service up there, so we tried and tried to get him rolling, but it was not happening.

Then some local folks in a truck and trailer pulled in, and we asked them for a tool, and they tried and failed, but they moved all kinds of stuff around in the trailer to take him and the scoot to a town. Newlin if I remember rightly.
They were very nice to us and would not accept any cash for their trouble.

So we hung out in Newville/Newlin eating killer good barbque, while a truck from the hotel came to load him up.

We bailed on going to Blowing Rock, as it was getting latter in the day, and blistered back to Hickory.

Next morning I left for York at 8:00 am and decided to not stop for the night, right at 8:00 pm I got home.
1374 miles for me and my old bones and buttocks.
My nose is burnt, my face is burnt, lips cracked and if another CON was tomorrow, I'd be packed up and grinding it again.

I'm going to attempt to post up some photos so bear with me.

cheapeto 07-10-2014 09:06 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Some other photos:

cheapeto 07-10-2014 09:29 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Once we got back to Hickory on Sat evening, we stopped at a HomeDepot/Pet Smart parking lot to look for an ABC before we went back to the hotel.
As we're standing there we hear a pack of angry bee's buzzing our way, but could not see them.
We just figured some of our guys went for a quick spin or something.

Then this perfect formation of Rucks start coming in to the parking lot and wheeled in beside us, on theses fine machines!!

It's the Charlotte crew!!
These cool folks buzzed up from Charlotte, with a chase car, looking for our group.

They took us over to the ABC, and offered us great discounts to an Asian BarBque reastruant, but we had dinned in Newlin and declined.

What a class act these guys are!!
Very friendly, very disciplined riding as a group, respectful as riders, always pointing out road hazzards, with a foot signal.
When they turned, or lane changed it was in unison, very easy to ride with going through Hickory.

I'd go back down to just ride with those guys again.
I loved their machines:

cheapeto 07-10-2014 09:38 AM

I did prepare for this trip well ahead of time. My scooter ran like a dream, way better then I expected. All the rejetting, roller swaps, new tires, and tweaks to carb, came together to make a killer great ride.
I got past my Interstate hiway fear. I got WELL past my comfort level for miles traveled in a day!!
Now I'm thinking about makeing a run at getting an IronButt Award. We'll see.

Now it's looking like Greenville NC will be the 2015 get together, and I'm getting ready for it now!!

Hope you enjoyed!!

Gimpdog 07-10-2014 11:16 AM

Thanks for the report and Pics, cheapeto!! It looked fun to ride.

Admin 07-10-2014 01:24 PM

Great story, and great pics! Looks like a blast! :)

Thanks for sharing :tup:

wheelbender6 07-11-2014 10:30 PM

Great pics and great scoots.

cheapeto 07-12-2014 08:18 AM

Thanks everyone, it was such a blast. My first of many to come.
I'm getting my fishing gear, whittled down to just the necessities, and some camping gear also.
Once I can fit it onto my scooter properly, then I'm going to do some camping fishing weekends also.
Now go ride those ponies!!