ScootDawg Forums

ScootDawg Forums (http://www.scootdawg.net/index.php)
-   Scooters (http://www.scootdawg.net/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Honda PCX150 (http://www.scootdawg.net/showthread.php?t=53132)

dudley 03-31-2013 09:38 AM

Honda PCX150

This is a nice scoot
There was nothing on my old scoot to make me think fit and finish was lacking, but one look at this one and you can tell it is a step above.
Handles and rides beautifully. Lighting is very bright.
Top speed at 900 miles is about 64mph on a very accurate speedo.
Accelerates quickly to about 57, then slowly climbs to top speed.
This is Honda quality, and when they say it will handle highway speeds without issue, I believe it. Always felt like I might be abusing my old scoot on the highway, this one I can put it out of my mind and enjoy the ride.
No flat floor or front convenience hook. Underseat storage is good, but can't match the storage on my old scoot. Great commuter, but not a grocery getter.
I need to get audible blinker relays, as I frequently forget to cancel them.
Seat hump can be an issue. I removed mine so I can slide back about three extra inches, which helps a great deal. Someday I will go aftermarket seat, but no hurry. Rides of 1 1/2
Hours are not uncomfortable.
So far, making about 93mpg.
Lots of new technology on this scoot. Too much to list here, but it is interesting stuff, and worth looking up.still amazes me how the starter and generator are one unit.
Push the start button and suddenly the scooter is running, no starter cranking at all.
Easily outruns my sons Suzuki tu250 up to top speed, then he slowly overtakes me.
Only real issue so far is maintenance. Valve jobs on my old scoot were thirty minutes, this one will be closer to two hours, because of plastic removal.

Admin 03-31-2013 02:17 PM

Great review, thanks! :tup:

prodigit 03-31-2013 02:28 PM

I'm jealous of your MPG ratings :-)

I did a terrible buy with my EVO on that, which is still in the breakin period, but only gets 66MPG.. :(

I'm sure it'll get better, but I'm not expecting anywhere near the 99MPG you're getting!

inuyasha 03-31-2013 08:30 PM

Hi
Congratulations, they are a wonderful scoot
My Daughter has a PCX 125 , and cant say enough good things about them
May she bring you much joy in the years to come
Take care and ride safely dear friend
Yours Hank

spandi 04-01-2013 12:41 AM

Nicely done descriptive article. (Hard to beat Honda Quality.)

redhandmoto 04-01-2013 08:00 AM

After a loooong scooter drought (well, four months), I got a PCX150 on Saturday. Liquid cooling, EFI, and performance were the deciding factors.

Downsides are the lack of native storage (which I plan to solve with cheapy throw-over saddlebags) and the valve adjustment interval (2500 miles).

It takes me a long time to accumulate 2500 scooter miles, and I am considering the dealer's offer of a "pay-upfront", six-times service contract to deal with that (can no longer handle wrenching myself).

In my area, all moto labor rates are very high (av. $100 per hour); the contract ain't cheap ($1000 & change), but when a valve check/adjustment involves the removal of all the plastics just to start work, this may be the best I can do to at least keep service costs as low as possible (for this area anyhow). That's gonna be 200 bucks just to take the panels off and put them back on. I'll be calling a couple of independant shops for service quotes before I decide.

prodigit 04-01-2013 06:42 PM

not having a flat floorboard is one of the greatest downsides of the Honda.

wheelbender6 04-01-2013 10:11 PM

Thanks for the review.
The only vehicle where I have seen a common starter/generator was an airplane.

jlhog 04-02-2013 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelbender6 (Post 519596)
Thanks for the review.
The only vehicle where I have seen a common starter/generator was an airplane.

Golfcarts are also a combination starter/generator

prodigit 04-02-2013 09:15 PM

Electric vehicles are doing this now too.

phenom84 05-26-2013 10:28 PM

I managed to get about 122 km/h (~76 mph) on my PCX 150, and I was still accelerating when I had to slow down. That was on a slight decline, mind you. On a slight incline (i.e. on the way there), I was still getting >110 km/h (~68).

For reference, I'm 5'10/180 pounds and the machine has no mods.

prodigit 05-26-2013 11:34 PM

that's nice.
My chinese scoot barely gets 63MPH, 55MPH with a stong wind from the opposite direction.