ScootDawg Forums

ScootDawg Forums (http://www.scootdawg.net/index.php)
-   50cc - 124cc (http://www.scootdawg.net/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   time to put up for the winter.. (http://www.scootdawg.net/showthread.php?t=55909)

Oldgunner 10-29-2017 02:30 PM

time to put up for the winter..

Is it necessary to disconnect the wires from the battery terminals before putting the maintainer on for the winter?

Roscoe 10-31-2017 07:08 AM

I don't bother to disconnect the battery. Make sure you don't over charge it over the winter.

Irish 10-31-2017 12:40 PM

Most (good) battery maintainers have leads that connect right to the battery poles & you just plug it into household type current. Therefore I would not bother to disconnect the battery. Of course I live in Florida now so there is really NO dormant season but I still use a battery maintainer between rides.:shrug::tup: Irish:scoot::nuts:
P.S. I used to ride year round when in NH but I was also younger then. I also had booze to keep me warm but now I quit drinking & got more sense !

rks 11-02-2017 07:35 AM

Irish is right. Take the time to attach the pigtail with the plug, to your battery. Forget about the one with the alligator clips. No worries about overcharging if you have a true maintainer, such as a "Battery Tender Jr.". I keep my 12 year old mower, and all 4 bikes, plugged in continuously, from this time of year, until spring.

Might be a couple of weeks too early to put them away for the season.....even in our neck of the woods. Last year my last outing was on Novermer 19th. The year before, my last ride was December 14th.

sc00ter 11-02-2017 11:45 PM

I used a Yuasa Hot Shot maintainer at one time and just installed the pigtail on the battery terminals. It was not mentioned in the owners manual to disconnect the battery from the bike. Im going to be down to 2 scooters soon and I will rotate them out during the winter to keep them moving, so I passed the Yuasa on to a friend. Battery Tender makes a good product also.

Oldgunner 12-27-2017 06:09 PM

Thanks guys..I chickened out, pulled the battery and brought it inside. I still hook th emauntainer on nbow and then, just to be sure.
Now that it is near new years..I am yearning for spring and fire up time again.

rks 02-17-2018 05:46 PM

I posted this on another forum yesterday.....won't hurt to post it here too.

Got my scooter out for a ride 2 days ago (2/15/18), made stops at Micky D's, and then at NAPA for some oil filters....by the time I got home, had covered 33 miles, and enjoyed every one. Simply amazing....riding a scooter in the middle of February, in Western New York State, and not getting the least bit cold.

Now it's back to winter.....but scoot season starts for real in just 2 months.

sc00ter 02-17-2018 08:42 PM

I still ride as much as possible, unless there is a threat of ice. Now, have a huge windscreen and heated grips on the Burg 200 but I know how you feel rks. Getting the Zuma out on a not so cold day with no rain in sight makes me smile like a kid (or crazy person).