ScootDawg Forums

ScootDawg Forums (http://www.scootdawg.net/index.php)
-   Scooters (http://www.scootdawg.net/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Genuine Roughhouse 50cc (http://www.scootdawg.net/showthread.php?t=55856)

Oldgunner 08-14-2017 10:08 PM

Genuine Roughhouse 50cc

At the end of April this year, I purchased a new but leftover 2015 Roughhouse.
As of now I have put 1865 miles on it, with zero problems. I am very pleased with the bike. I drove it for near 500 miles before getting it derestricted. For the first 500 top speed (speedometer, I have no GPS) was 40. I live in hilly country and some of the hills as I neared the top, would have me chugging along from 5-7 mph.
My plan was to use the 50cc for a time, then switch to a 125 or 150 cc.
Then I had the Roughhouse derestricted, both exhaust washer and the spacer ring removed. Now those hills which had me doing 5-7 near the top, I usually clear at 18-20 mph. Running on the level, 50mph is easy. Since I live in hilly country, sometimes I do what I call "hill skipping"..that is, I run down one hill at a good speed so I can scoot up and over the next hill quite easily. Warning; don't get too vigorous with the throttle! I did that a couple days ago and was going down the first hill with the speedo buried at where 60mph would be indicated...when the exhaust suddenly got louder.. I carefully rode home (about 2 miles) and found that I had blown off the cover to my second filter..no problem, I put it back...but no more half throttle going down hill..i will keep it to an indicated 50.
I don't think the acceleration was improved however. I get about 80-82 mpg, rather than the 100 mpg which is claimed.. I'm sure my weight (200) helps the hills to keep my mileage down. I have been happy enough with my roughhouse, especially since derestriction, that I doubt I will go bigger.
I have taken day trips of up to 115 miles and could have gone much further if I wished. I think a long trip would be just as easy with this bike as with a 125-150cc scooter...it will just take a bit longer. I don't plan on any modifications beyond the derestriction.
I did put a Prima medium windshield on it.. I didn't notice any gain or loss in performance, but the comfort level definitely went up !

sc00ter 08-19-2017 10:04 PM

Those are great scooters with excellent build quality. I have heard good things about the NCY Super Transmission Kit but have no personal experience with it. What version did you get? 10" balloon tire or 12" low pro tire? Both great choices, I just like the ride of the balloon tires better.

Oldgunner 08-19-2017 10:11 PM

A couple additions to my Roughhouse;
1) I ordered by phone a low profile seat from Scooterworks. I am quite short legged and knew when I purchased the bike that I would probably have to do this. If I slide forward at stops I can stand flatfooted, but if I don't I still have to tippy toe s bit.

2)I bought the Prima medium height windshield, also from scooterworks..both delivered within 2 days. Although I don't notice any great speed or mileage difference as of yet..the comfort factor made the purchase worthwhile.

Oldgunner 08-24-2017 08:35 PM

I got the 10" balloons , and like them very much..

sc00ter 08-25-2017 11:42 PM

Cool! I like the look of the balloons more. Let me tell you, I have seen some Rough Houses go thru hell and back, then go back again for fun, and still run and hold up perfect! Durable little tanks! Oh, and I loved your "got louder" story when bombing down the hill to build up speed! I would have had a butt pucker moment for sure if my 50cc got louder like that! Now that its fixed, bomb away, it will take it no problem! I just got my old 98 Zuma running so Im back in the 10" balloon game! Now the knobby tires I got (Michelin Reggae's) are noisy compared to the Kenda knobby's I have on the Adly. Still like the 10" better, noise be damned!