View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #1

No spark? 50cc chinese scooter

Hello everyone,

I have a 2008 Shanghai, 4 stroke 50cc scooter. I bought it new and its about 4000 miles on it now.
It normally sits in the winter and sat all of last year.
I changed the oil, cleaned the carb a few times, adjusted valves a few times.
I just purchased a few new belts, new variator fan and new 5g rollers.

To the point:
I have no spark.
I only have a test light, and i'm getting no light from hardly any wire except the battery, even while cranking.
I am getting light while cranking from.. I think a Green and Yellow wire, I don't know where it goes(somewhere to the front of the bike).

I tested with the test light
The CDI=no light from any wire, even while cranking,
Ignition Coil(the 2 wires on the top)=no light, even while cranking.
The Stator=no light while cranking, but only once briefly and dim from the Black and Red wire and only when I kicked it(and not the electric starter) and it didn't light again when I tried to kick it a few more times.

I checked my spark plug and its ok.
Took apart and cleaned my carburetor and its flowing gas.
I jumped my run/stop switch.
Tightened up my kick stand kill switch(it was loose) and verified that its still pushing the little kill switch up and down.

I'm stumped.
Please Help

Side note:
Also the about a year or so after I got it the head light and the tail light went out. Only the side head head lights work(its a three light system, 1 main light and 2 side lights in the main head light glass)
but not the main head light, the tail isn't lighting up either only the thin top strip when I hit the brakes, the whole thing used to light up. I heard this as something to do with the stator?

Brief History:
It sat for about a 9 months to a year, it ran so-so before I put it up(not going as fast anymore and slow take off)I adjusted the valves a bunch of times and it didn't really fix it like it did when I first adjusted them a year or two prior.
During that time I had starting/no spark issues so I took it to a shop when valve adjustments wouldn't solve my problem anymore.
I don't remember if it was my Ignition coil, CDI, Stator or whatever, all I remember is when I went to pick it up, it was running and the mechanic wasn't there for me to talk to so I just left.
I recall my run/stop switch wasn't turning off my bike anymore but I thought nothing of it, I just used the key to turn the bike off and was going to go back to the shop later when I had the time(I never did).
The bike ran but never really as fast as it did when I first bought it. I drove it home on the expressway when I first got it and it was flying to the max needle point (45-50) with no problems(on a side note how can I get it like this again? Is it possible?).

Login or Register to Remove Ads