View Single Post
Old 03-11-2015, 10:49 AM   #5

Not a good idea to put "Tire Black", "Tire Dressing" OR Armorall on bike tires... That stuff will make the tires very slippery..... and very dangerous. Way back when I first got a Helix, one day I cleaned and polished it up real nice and used that stuff on the tires to make it look showroom new. Leaving and turning out of the driveway at about walking speed it was as if I had run over a patch of ice and the bike completely went out from beneath me.

I wouldn't trust any assumption that applying it to only the non-tread parts of the tire would be OK as the spinning tire will tend to force it out and down to the tread area. (as it did to my Helix)

I would suspect that the chemicals used in tire rubber compound are there to help make the compound less reactive to UV light, whereas the topical solutions sprayed or wiped onto tires only temporarily/partially block UV light penetration with a thin film. And dressing it does not restore the integrity of the rubber. Once UV damage is done, it is done. Tire dressing masks the damage and maybe slows further damage.

IMO, not a good idea to use that stuff on bike tires. That is unless there is a product specifically made for bike tires that does not make them slippery.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me

Login or Register to Remove Ads