View Single Post
Old 07-11-2015, 12:40 AM   #6

So here is an update:
Got the carb, fuel filter and new petcock (SYM original) all working fine.
Could not figure out the hesitation on corners. Increased the idle rather dramatically, it got worse.

So, just for the heck of it, I cut the idle down to where it stalls, then came up just a bit. VOILA. Got my power back (still a little hesitation at WOT at speed, but I hit 58 MPH on my test track, and I consider 56 to be "normal" on the other HD (GPS speed), so the acceleration is OK).

So here is what I think is the problem: I noticed, with the lowered idle, that the higher running gear does not release or downshift until between 13-15 MPH. I can actually feel the bike slowing with engine braking, then at about 13 it "releases". So if I take the corner from a standing start (stop sign), or slow to under 13 MPH, it works just fine. If I take the corner at 20 MPH (just for testing), I can feel the engine fighting with the gears - exactly how a car would feel if you tried to accelerate in 4th gear at 20 MPH. It does not stall, but it does lug.

When I got this bike at about 6K miles, it appeared the gear oil had never been changed. It came out silver metallic, something I had never seen before. I have changed it twice, the first time the it came out silver, the second time it was clear.

So I am thinking there is a problem in the gear box, which probably can not be fixed except by changing out the gear box itself.

I will try using a lower viscosity gear oil, maybe that will loosen it up a bit.

Any thoughts?