View Single Post
Old 10-15-2015, 01:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandito2 View Post
Well, in a way it was good to see that everyone tried to help with suggestions. The trouble is that out of all of them only one addressed the problem correctly. (yours... Good call BTW)

It can be a bit overwhelming to have so many different things coming in and that may actually not be helpful.

Needless to say, but I found and resolved the mismatched hoses. Problem solved and the bike ran perfectly after that. It would have been resolved so much quicker and with far less trouble had I followed through on my own good suggestion.

We may not be dumb, but sometimes we can be just a wee bit dim witted.
I guess I'd like to expound on the notion of the "K.I.S.S" methodology for diagnosing and solving problems. These are simple machines compared to some others that we encounter so it should stand to reason then that most causes and their solutions would be simple for the most part as well; there is no good reason to complicate things unnecessarily.

The average Joe's formulation of Occam's Razor that "the simplest explanation is usually the correct one." would seem to apply. At least unless and until further discovery would allow for more complexity to be just as valid. So it just makes sense then to try the simplest most obvious and likely theories first and apply the equally simple solutions since very often, if not most times it is the correct thing to do.

In the example posted by kz1000ST for example, just how difficult would it have been for the person with the problem to just unplug then plug back in the spark plug wire and/or a single connector as was suggested since they were just as likely causes and the simplest things that could have been tried first? Or, in my example of not completely and correctly checking the hose routing when that would have been one of the easiest things to check first. The error seems to have been with the lack of the simple yet COMPLETE FOLLOW THROUGH with those investigations and solutions. If you are going to do something, then do it completely else why bother in the first place?

And I'll just add, (not to diminish Occam's Razor) sometimes when you have a certain amount of familiarity with things, first instincts about them are often correct. In the Zen of scootering, heed that inner voice... As I should have done in my example of the need to correctly check the hoses as was my first inclination.

in a nutshell: K.I.S.S. (but make it complete with follow through & follow up)
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me