View Single Post
Old 03-23-2019, 10:58 AM   #2

I hate messing with carbs, and I also hate messing with points/condensers. I have found this more then once on older scooter, mopeds and motorcycles. First, make sure you have the correct spark plug, set at the correct gap. What seems to happen is the bike was ridden, put up, found again, "tuned up" to be put back on the road and finally sold for a quick buck. Trust me, doing it right is not always on the flippers list! Do you have the factory carb settings? Float height? Needle position? Those seem to be the first 2 things people prior to you will mess with. Put the carb in a ultra sonic cleaner. The carb should run with the throttle cable disconnected, and a tad bit of slack at idle is normal/correct. Dirty point gaps can be a issue, but I have no idea if that scoot has points or early electronic ignition. Gummed up fuel filter restricting flow? Is the fuel tank nasty or clean? Last thing is if the spark plug cap fits tight. Good luck and let us know what you find. Will post any other ideas as I wake up.