View Single Post
Old 10-02-2019, 03:51 PM   #1

Dongfang SST DF50 scrambler

So a few weeks ago I did a trade for a 49cc scooter I’ve wanted to mess with since I first saw one. The so called “baby Ninja’s” and was able to get a non running Dongfang SST cheap. Actually the only one I’ve seen first hand here in Maine.
07B82020-3737-42B2-AE96-46A9ADFE4A14.jpg

It wasn’t running for several reasons, but primarily because the intake manifold was full of cracks and the carb literally had dirt in it.

This scoot is still a work in progress and I’m hoping that folks on this forum can give me some guidance. I’ve ridden motorcycles since I was a kid, but have gotten more interested in scooters in recent years.

I love the bones of these baby ninjas perfect for an urban scrambler/ADV build, so... I ripped off all the cheap brittle plastic fairing, pulled all the “anti pollution” stuff and cut and welded the PAIR closed. I added a big bore kit, and 22mm carb, and have also just replaced the very warn/flat roller weights in the variator going from 4g to 6.5g. I also added some inexpensive fat bars (I could not handle being hunched over) and the headlight was already toast so have been fabricating a bracket for a 9” LED bar that’s 1400 lumens. The scooter is great and I am going to keep going on it as a scrambler, I weigh 185lbs and it goes 45mph on flats and just under 30 up a steep hill. So I strapped on my tank bag and tail bake with tools and parts and put it though the paces, and I like it.
AE8D3848-88F0-4556-BD6A-68F837D55E39.jpg

Now I’m looking at what tires to run on it so I can do some light trails. I also am thinking about painting the frame Husqvarna orange and the rest black. So at this point I am starting to grasp at air in how to proceed and am looking for any input, ideas, concerns, etc. The fact that I barely have $200 into it is mind blowing to me, and waaaay better than going to the movies 8 times!

So please give me some suggestions.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by JohnPainter; 10-04-2019 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Photos not correct size