View Single Post
Old 05-19-2020, 02:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike117 View Post
Just curious as what the end goal of this kit is?
I could guess at a couple reasons.
1) For reasons of style/appearance ... some like the stretched look.

2) A longer wheel base tends to give a smoother ride over road surfaces that are less than
perfectly smooth or even. Also the bike would be less prone to short coupled "twitchiness".
That may or may not be a desirable effect though it isn't too stretched to be problematic to
handling I think.

A small amount more lean would be needed to navigate a turn in the same track of a similar,
but shorter wheelbase bike. That also means that the minimum arc (handlebar at full lock) of
a turn will be larger than that of the short wheelbase bike as well. Again, I don't think that is
much of a handling issue since the difference is not all that great and people can and do adjust
to bikes of differing wheelbase lengths.

There may be others, but those were the first 2 that I thought about.

3)?
Well, I did think about it giving a little more length of space forward of the center of the rear
axle to carry weight. (weight carried behind the centerline of the rear axle tends to lighten
the load on the front wheel which could cause handling problems.) That is why, if I get a
smax, then I would also get the long wheelbase kit because I would want to build a full body
streamlined fairing for it similar to a fairing I am building for my 250 cc Honda Reflex. It
extends well behind the rear axle, but still will not allow it to carry very much of any load very
far behind the rear axle centerline.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me