View Single Post
Old 10-14-2015, 11:42 PM   #2

Well, in a way it was good to see that everyone tried to help with suggestions. The trouble is that out of all of them only one addressed the problem correctly. (yours... Good call BTW)

It can be a bit overwhelming to have so many different things coming in and that may actually not be helpful. But, the thing is when responding, he acknowledged to the respondent in the affirmative about the fuel pump "whir" sound. He responded to the guy regarding the spark plug, wire and gap that he checked those and no resolution to his problem. He answered another respondent that he did not ride his bike hard and that his valves had been set just 5000 miles ago. So he had a delay put into his travels and I'm pretty sure he paid a hefty towing bill and maybe for repair shop time too. But! yours he dismissed and could have saved himself the time, trouble, grief & $$$. (which very often is the price for education) I'll bet he was kicking himself for not following through with ALL the good suggestions.

The first respondent got it partially right by asking or at least suggesting that more info was needed.

I have to confess though that I am guilty of not following through on my own first instincts. Had a problem with one of my ebay buys from 3 1/2 years prior. (OK, so it was a garage queen for that time but I eventually got to fixing it) It was a coolant in the crankcase oil issue and I couldn't quite figure out how it was getting there. Coolant in the air box should have been a stark clue. One of the first things I thought about checking was the routing of cooling and air/vacuum lines. I looked and saw all hoses were hooked up, but I didn't actually confirm that everything was hooked up to where it was supposed to be. So then it was on to Knuckle busting, cursing, head scratching, tearing hair out, compression test to rule out head gasket and carb swaps (since that was one suspect) that did not help and worrying that the oil & water pump seal was bad and was the cause of the oil & coolant mixing in the crankcase. But it was in the replacing of the original carb that the sound of liquid sucking through an air hose was the alert that had me do a proper check of hose routing. Needless to say, but I found and resolved the mismatched hoses. Problem solved and the bike ran perfectly after that. It would have been resolved so much quicker and with far less trouble had I followed through on my own good suggestion.

We may not be dumb, but sometimes we can be just a wee bit dim witted.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me

Last edited by bandito2; 10-15-2015 at 12:16 AM.