View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #14

My 2ct:
most speakers with poly cones can stand water. If they've got silk dome tweeters, some of the high end will be affected when you use them in rain until the water dries out.
About quality, generally plastic/poly coned drivers are ok, but tweeters need to be silk or some kind of metal alloy like titanium to be good. I don't think I heard many good sounding plastic tweeters, neither alu dome tweeters.
Alu-dome tweeters sound just average.. Paper tweeters sound warm, but can't stand water.
Titanium sounds the best (generally speaking).
A good speaker has a matching bass reflex cabinet.
Since most scooter speakers are handling around 40W max, you will want speakers with a cabinet rated 160Hz-20kHz, not lower than 80Hz, or a lot of the sound quality will get lost in lows you won't be able to hear anyway while riding...

If you can get your hands on alu-cast speakers, they'll last longer than steel cast, or steel stamped, as steel and water don't work well together.

I yet have to find a good sounding speaker for the scoot. If you could only integrate a set of studio monitors in a scoot's housing, but that does not seem to be a very easy job.