View Single Post
Old 08-04-2019, 12:41 AM   #8

Ok, so 3 days after the "Big Box" arrived, I FINALLY cranked it up today! I followed the 13 part 90GTVert PDI videos step-by-step, did 100% of the suggested mods/upgrades, carb rebuild, valve adjustment, all before cranking it up the first time.

It was kinda scary taking the whole brand-spanking new bike to just a frame and motor, but I managed to get it all back together (thank you masking tape and sharpie marker!) Even found a few missing bolts that I had to buy just to get everything good and tight, and man did I use me some locktite!

Took me several hours to get all the body panels back in place, and then it was off to the gas station to get some ethanol-free go-go-juice.

I guess between crossing my fingers and holding my mouth just right, she fired right up - yay! As I mentioned before, it's been a few decades since I've done any wrenching, but it all worked out.

The only minor problem I encountered was that the speedometer, the gauge cluster was shipped with the needle BELOW the little "peg" that it is supposed to rest on when its at zero, preventing the speedo needle from moving! The instrument cluster is a factory sealed unit with no access that I could find, so I just drilled a small hole, straightened out a paper clip and fished the needle over the peg to the correct position, and plugged the hole with some silicone - problem solved! Works like a champ!

So I only managed to put about 15 miles on it today, but we'll remedy that situation tomorrow lol.

BTW, I took a picture to post, but when I try to post it here, it asks for the url of my picture, which is on my desktop? How does that work? (sorry, I'm new to the forum scene!)