View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to lykos23 Send a message via Skype™ to lykos23
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertydude View Post
Carb needs a rejet, if you're going full throttle and losing power the high speed jet is too lean. Happens a lot with factory lean EPA tuning. This is not a problem that can be solved by turning the idle mixture screw as that mostly affects idles up to 1/8 throttle.

Another possible cause is one of the intake restrictors was removed. Either the four hole or the internal snorkel could be missing. To see if it needs a rejet you can try the duct tape method. Cover 1/4 of the air intake hole with some duct tape then try revving again, if it gets a little better try covering another 1/4 to 1/8. What this does is restrict the air intake so that it'll balance out with the limited fuel the carb is supplying.

If the above procedure works then you have no choice but to rejet the carb. If the carb is a sealed unit you need to buy a new carb.
Thanks, Quertydude. I'll be trying and checking this first thing tomorrow and I'll be back here to post my results.

As this is my only vehicle, would it be harmful to continue driving it with this problem until I get a new carb?