View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #5

That's a really hard one to diagnose. But at the risk of stating the obvious, I'll tell you what I do, just in case you think there's something you didn't do & might want to try.

1. Remove muffler.

2. Remove Right shock absorber.

3. Remove (perhaps) 6 bolts to the tire swing arm bracket; remove the upper bolts that secure the bracket to the black plastic mudguard/fender, & not the middle 2 bolts. Place blocks of wood under the bracket's lower arm in order to center the bracket around the plastic fan housing, to allow the bracket to pass clear of the housing as it is pulled out of the wheel axle.

4. Next remove the 24 mm wheel nut followed by the spacer washer. A 15/16ths socket seems 2 fit a bit tighter.

5. Then soak, & I mean soak, the bearing area with penetrating oil. How do you do this? By spraying between the bearings & swing arm frequently, once every hour, for say, 12 hrs, or an entire day. Then let it dry overnight.

6. The following day
(when it's not wet & flammable), heat up the area around the bearings with a torch in such a way as to expand the area around the bearings, without expanding the bearings. Now take your 2-arm puller to grasp the swing arm & begin pulling it off the axle. Tighten the puller a little & hit repeatedly the puller tightening bolt firmly (not hard) with a brass hammer. Then tighten the puller bolt another 1/8th turn & strike firmly (but never hard), the puller bolt repeatedly again with the brass hammer (a steel hammer can mushroom the puller bolt head; not desirable) again. If you do not have access to a brass or bronze hammer, use a wood block on top of the bolt & hammer the wood block. Then turn the puller bolt another 1/8th turn. Repeat this process for about 20 minutes. That's how long it took for me to gradually pull off the swing arm. You have to be very careful because there is a chance that the aluminum transmission housing gets damaged on the other end of the shaft if you hit it too hard.

You should be able to get the swing arm off. Good luck & take it slowly; no use breaking the swing arm as that only results in un-necessary work.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by CarefulRider; 07-09-2013 at 08:30 AM.