Thread: "Old Days"
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by philr View Post
I have memories of the "Good-ole-days"... Amal carbs with the slide stuck open, buying drive chain at local machine-shop, Lucas electrics, running tires until they were no longer tires. If you needed parts, only chance for "in-stock" was a motorcycle junkyard, for electronics you better know an automotive interchange or easy to modify.

Still have an old pair of engineer boots with a 530 "Master Link" attached. Removing links to continue using a worn-out chain, Flopping sprockets when they were worn, running them until they were no longer sprockets. Of course, this was a time when "gas station attendant" was a viable career choice... and no one cared if you "wanted fries with that."

Admittedly, I still modify parts for custom applications, mostly to stay in practice and because I like the challenge. Since attaining the age of Social-Security, convenience/dependability is most important... late model Tacoma pick-up and more often ride FXBB Softail Street Bob than home-built Softail Bobber.

But... sitting in the shop, looking at my scoots, reminiscing about the "Old Days"... Yes I do!
I used to love the later model Amal carbs. The 1st thing that you do is *hitcan the chokes & thread the openings in the top piece. Then you take the plastic float bowls & sand off the "mold" marks. Then take a piece of Scotchbrite & polish the throttle slide & slide bores & you will never have trouble with them again. I used to run them at the Drag Strip & they were flawless! Take the plastic float needles & replace them with the metal ones with the rubber tips & fuel leakage is taken care of. Irish