View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 11:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carasdad View Post
Remember.. a pickup coil is just that..a coil..so anytime current passes through it the resistance from the windings creates a secondary condition besides a magnetic field..that being heat. Heat as you know is an enemy to any type of coil as it reduces its output. Hence the reason Electrical Power Sub Stations have oil cooling or liquid cooling for their transformer coils.
New parts or not..many arrive unserviceable.. I order CDI's for example in lots of 10 from my wholesaler..and always 2-3 of those are dead on arrival. Chinese QC is not like Japanese..German or Italian QC.
Lastly by trade I am not a certified mechanic..but a retired military medic..who later became a cardiac nurse..then gave that up to run a scooter parts/repair shop. It's just me so I get to be my own boss and everybody enjoys working for somebody they really like..lol.. But..anyway..the above is my 2 cents. I see pickup coils fail often and they exhibit exactly what you describe. Lets hope it is a simple as that. Btw..what was the voltage you got from your pickup coil initially..then again after the spark weakened after a few cranks on the engine. If you see a voltage difference before and after that..well you pretty much have all the evidence ya need I would think..
Glenn
P.S. Does the hot wire from the stator to your CDI also drop in voltage after a few cranks? Cause the stator is a coil too..so all the above things that affect a coil..will affect that coil as well..
So you promoted yourself right on to President and Janitor! I like working for myself, but my boss is a demanding tyrant...
The stator seems fine, it's showing +/- 80Vac consistently measured from the red/black wire at the CDI connector.
I'll have to measure the trigger tomorrow, I hadn't thought to check it in comparison to the CDI output. I don't know how useful my VM is going to be at measuring that small and brief of a voltage, but we'll see what happens.
One other thing - What are the odds of the trigger problem being in the magneto rather than the coil itself? I've tapped it with a small screw and felt no pull from it at all..

Last edited by FlyingBlindOnARocket; 03-07-2014 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Addition