View Single Post
Old 12-30-2015, 09:10 AM   #3

My old body would give up long, long before the scooter. Personally, I'd much rather do a trip like that on my own, or with one other rider.....rather than having everything from speed, rest stops, overnight locations and such, dictated by others. In a 3500 mile trip, in unfamiliar areas of the country, there are bound to be places that I'd want to stop and see and maybe spend a bit more time, than an organized ride would allow.

I'm sure you remember the father/son ride, from California to NYC, a couple of years ago....the son was on a used, $100, Chinese scooter. So it can be done......but, probably not if your plan is to average 55 mph, all day, every day.

My Chinese scoot has covered enough miles to have gone from my place in NY State, to the California Coast, back home, and back to the Pacific Ocean again. I have never had to call the wife to rescue me, or anyone else for that matter. I have never made a roadside repair on my scoot. It has proven to be a very dependable machine, and is still running all of the original ignition components. Some regular wear items have been replaced...rear tire, drive belt, variator weights, a battery, an auto enricher, and a rubber boot on the end of the plug wire......a larger main jet, and free flow filter......but that is it.

At 68, it is nice to dream about a cross country ride.....but I know it will never happen for me. But I'm grateful I can still ride at all....and I did cover 8,542 combined miles on all of my bikes this season....of which 3,146 were on the scoot.

Login or Register to Remove Ads