View Single Post
Old 12-31-2015, 03:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz1000st View Post
I think the SCB is just ridiculous. In 2008 an SYM HD-200 trounced a certain Italian brand. In 2010 that Italian brand tasted victory. In 2012 somebody hid a 250cc Ninja under a 1947 Campbell scooter and not only won but scored a perfect trip with no Penalty Points. His score was in the next Century ahead of number two on the list. Moral. A motorcycle is a better Scooter Cannonball Runner than a scooter.

All SCB does is point out the need for a 650cc scooter for a long ride.
I thought at first you might have been talking about the "Real Cannonball" which is run by an outfit in California. Motor-Scooter-International-X-Treme-Endurance-Riders, a meetup.com group that does other "extreme rides". But after looking, I see you are indeed talking about the Scooter Cannonball Run event. The scoring is based around a handicapping method which gives some bias toward older scooters. I was not aware that a Ninja engine & drive was used. Was it "cheating" or claimed as such or do you know if the rules for that year allowed that to be done? And can you point me to where it was discussed. And by looking at the scores, it becomes immediately obvious that there was an unfair advantage of some sort.

The "Scooter Cannonball Run" is the one I will likely be participating in using one of my Honda Reflex scooters. The "Real Cannonball" is run by the organization based in California and has different rules for participation. And my plan is about the same as the Honda 110 Elite rider. I'll ride from MI to the start in FL, then the run across the country up to WA, then back home to Michigan. It will be something over 7000 miles and probably closer to 8000 because I may not make a direct route back to home.

Not saying scooter riders are immoral,(but who knows? LOL! just kidding, I know what you mean by "moral") of course they know a motorcycle is better; safer, more comfortable & reliable perhaps than a scooter. But then a car or truck is perhaps safer, more comfortable and reliable than a motorcycle. It is a challenge for riders and their machines. And the machines defined for the challenge are scooters. I think it would be fun and good way to get out west as I have meant to do since retiring.

A belt change at the side of the road would just be an inconvenience rather than something major since I've done that before. I had the spare belt, the tools and know-how for the task.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me

Login or Register to Remove Ads