View Single Post
Old 05-06-2014, 02:26 PM   #15

Indiana scooter laws were somewhat muddled for years. This was changed this year to make the laws more clear. 50CC now will be have to be plated and registered as of Jan 15. For those with out a drivers license they will have to take a test and get a moped endorsement on their state ID card. A 150cc was always considered to be a motorcycle and will continue to be and requires the full insurance ,plates ,and drivers license with a motorcycle endorsement. The problem is that many non licensed cheat and ride 150 scoots pretending that they are 50cc. The police are well aware of this. As for me I was clearly in the wrong for operating my 50 cc scooter over the 30mph limit. I figured in a 45 mph zone the police wouldn't mind if I kept up in traffic. I will simply pay the small fine and continue on my way. I am unsure if the Indiana BMV will plate my 50cc scooter as motorcycle. I will find out. In the mean time I will just be more careful and not go over 30 mph when there is police around. I like riding my scooter and much prefer it over driving my car.