View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #6

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnc View Post
If you measure the battery voltage before starting the scooter what do you measure? It should be around +12.8 volts. What do you measure after you start it? It should be above +12.8 volts at all rpm, more like +13 to +14 volts. If it drops below +12.8 volts at any rpm then something is wrong most likely the regulator.

I have had two regulators that charge fine at idle but at higher rpm, the regular failed causing the battery to discharge. One of them was around 2,000 rpm. It would be charging at 2,000 rpm but by 2,200 rpm it was discharging the battery.

There should be no reason why the voltage to the headlight should be +10 volts. It should be close to the battery voltage.
Except that the feed power from the Reg is AC (Not DC) and feeds only the headlights. My DC side of the circuit works just fine and puts out a steady 14.3vDC.

I done some research and it seems to be a common issue with LED headlights on these chinese scooters. The AC feed the headlights directly to solve a few issues, one legal one of always on. second the standard and Halogen headlight are power hungry. A 35/35 watt incandescent headlight and a 35/35 watt Halogen bulb draw the same amperage and volts something like 10/20 amp (Low and Hi setting) So using AC means the same (Cheap) wiring can handle a higher amp load) But LED bulbs of any form draw so much less Amperage. Mine are rated at 7 amps max.

So since every other light circuit is battery driven I am going to install an relay and rewire the headlights to a battery circuit this morning.