Thread: Score!!
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 10:38 AM   #17

Thumbs Up

I mostly agree, though a really good deal pops up often enough that it feeds the dream. I've basically found that there are three types of vehicle owners. First, the one that keeps the paint bright and shiny, polishes up the chrome, keeps the upholstery clean and sparkly, and DOES NOTHING to keep the engine and drive in performance shape. Two, the opposite of that. The mechanic that spends all his energy and money on performance, keeping the engine tuned, the fluids changed, the tires properly inflated, and DOES NOT CARE if the body looks like crap. The third type, pretty much in the minority, has pride in the whole vehicle. It looks sharp, runs well, and rarely gets sold, since the owner did the research and bought what he wanted in the first place. So, absolutely, if it looks to good to be true, check it out with a wary eye. You will still get fooled some of the time, but there are deals to be made..
And I absolutely agree that it is the owner that is more often the cause of system failure that the vehicle manufacturer. It's been said that a craftsman is only as good as his tools. I strongly disagree. A skilled craftsman can use crappy tools if that is all that is available, and still get the job done. An uncaring poor craftsman can have the best tools money can buy, and still not get acceptable results.
So, keep the cynicism, but know that there will be another deal, either next month or next year.. Shiny side up!