View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 10:32 AM   #3

I doubt it's the pump... that gives a boost when one first cracks the throttle... I acclerate fine and it cruises and (once the choke is off) idles fine... I don't see what that has to do with this.

I tried putting the Stock #70 (or 78, I couldn't read the last digit)... seems to be starting better cold... in the afternoon I'll see if it is doing better and if it's not running too lean. My suspicion is that both issues above are linked in that an oversized main jet is forcing the idle fuel mix screw to be set way to lean, which is causing more coasting leanness that the coast enricher can compensate for. At the same time, this excess fuel also is making the choke's fuel enrichement too much, causing a rich condition like observed.

I don't see why a bigger set of jets will fix this issue... if I'm having to set the idle mix screw as lean as possible (or just about) to maximise idle, then I doubt the pilot jet (or the main for that matter) is having an issue getting fuel.

I am running the stock air box w/new filter, btw, since I have EGR installed (and a plain filter wouldn't work in such case)? I also know, at least with the #80 jet (and the very rich running #90) that any vacuum leak would make it idle way out of control... fast enought to engage the clutch at even a minimal idle setting (or just about)... do bore kits require aftermarket air filters too?

Another strange observance on the bigger jets... When cold (but recently ridden) it would start and idle fine for 20 seconds or so, before getting in the usual way too rich routine. My petcock is fine (no fuel in the vacuum line; fuel s also feeding the carb just fine) and I didn't notice any obvious carb float issues (but I don't know how to check the float level on a CVK...)

Login or Register to Remove Ads