Thread: 50cc won't idle
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2014, 06:08 PM   #1

50cc won't idle

I have the fuel/vacuum issues corrected and the scooter runs at road speeds fine but I still can't get the thing to idle. It acts as if it is running out of fuel. After running at mid to high rpms and releasing the throttle, it will idle down slowly and then cut off. If I advance the throttle quickly it will pick up and run but if I allow it to die it is hard to restart. I do not have the air box connected to the carb. but just a foam filter over the carb. inlet opening because it, air box to carb.,is such a pain to put on and off.

A shot of starting fluid will start it up easily and she will run fine until I try to get a 1500-2000 rpm idle with the throttle released as if at stop sign.

Could the fuel bowl level be the problem by being to high or to low? I did raise the bowl level a little which allowed me to get the road speed rpm and keep it but I still can't get the idle.

I have used SeaFoam, which I use on all my lawn equipment, outboard motors and automobiles too. It and Marvel Mystery Oil are great products and I have used them for years.

Again, this 50cc scooter was given to me disassembled and is my first experience with a Chinese Scooter. I am in the middle of the learning curve with this GY6 engine. One place it says plug gap at .002"-.003" (mighty tight), other manuals say .022"-.025" for plug gap> I obviously feel .022" is correct but my point is there are conflicting spec.s, so please bear with me and offer any opinions and fixes available. I will eventually, with your help, get this scooter up and running properly.

Thanks again.

John J.

Login or Register to Remove Ads