View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by duosport View Post
The Honda Passport is only 70cc has a scooter step through design but has foot pegs. It is a semi automatic three speed with a shift pedal but no clutch. Even the chain for the drive is in a housing. With all of these scooter like qualities it is still considered a motorcycle.

Really none of it has to do with engine size because scooters certainly are common with 250cc engines. The main thing as far as I know is that scooter have no user controlled gear shifting. The second factor is styling specifically the step through design. Its not to say that there are not scooters disguised to look like motorcycles.
Hi
I dont agree with that statement as most of the very first scooters manufactered where equiped with manual transmissions as well as cvts
In fact The United States Department of Transportation defines a scooter as a motorcycle that has a platform for the operator's feet or has integrated footrests, and has a step-through architecture.
I do agree about the step thorough design and also their center of gravity and handling is very different from a motorcycle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scooter...e)#Description
To me they are all just simply motorbikes with very different riding characteristics
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank