View Single Post
Old 12-27-2016, 04:00 PM   #2

Well, I forgot my camera but I'll just update, and follow up w/ Picts. later.

Lowered the front, and rear by 2 1/2 inches, and stretched it by 3 inches. All the body mounting tabs along with the center stand are cut off, and ground.

The front fork lowering was easy enough. I simply removed the pinch bolts, slid the forks up 2 1/2", and ran the appropriate drill bit thru to re-cut the fork tubes. Reinstall the bolts, and tighten up.

The rear engine mount was just as easy to modify but I'm sure the Picts. will explain it better.
There are a pair of rectangular blocks that the top engine mount attach to on the frame. It was easy enough to spy out a spot on the blocks that was 3" further back, and 2 1/2" uo. Measure 3 times, drill the new holes, and slide the mount up into it's new home.

With all this lowering the center stand was useless. In fact worse... It was scraping the ground so it had to go. The side stand got a 2" trim as well.
The rear shocks would not lay down correctly in their original mounts so I found a pair of mounts that used to carry a cross-member that runs under the fuel tank. There is also a welded tube that stiffens the rear so that cross member is only used to support the front of the fuel tank, and mount a 1/2 fender over the rear tire.
I'm using a different fuel tank, and not using the fender so I simply re-tapped the threads in the mounting points, and ran a pair of cap screws/washers for the rear shocks.
They are in a perfect position away from everything.

Next is the Darkside tire deal.
I received my first tire last week. It is an Achilles 135/80 R13. That size is too tall to fit past the right side crankcase bungs that the swing arm mounts to. A lower profile is needed so I got on the phone.
There is a shop in Cali (Bear Tire) that is willing to TRY to get me a Euro market tire. The size is 135/70 R13. There is a Fiat sold in the UK that takes this size.
I tried calling Federal tire, Dunlop, Firestone, and someone else (i forget which one). NONE of these manufactures are willing to sell me a Euro market tire. They all said the same thing... "It's not a DOT approved tire for U.S. markets so they can not sell it here."
Michael (from Bear Tire) is willing to try to get me a pair, and see if he can get e steady supply just for these custom scooters. He's familiar with the Ruk fat tire scene in Cali. so he will do his best to help us Darkside riders out in the 150cc bikes. Fingers crossed.

The 135/80 R13 is not a total loss tho. I'm considering running it up front. Back in the 80's i ran a custom frame Harley 1/4 mile bike as my daily, and today I ride an 85 mph ZX-50 as my daily. I'm used to things that don't belong on the street.
This build should be no exception.

Alright, I'll post up the picts so you all can see how simple this all was.

Later!