View Single Post
Old 12-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #2

First, on my 150cc I once forgot and left one of the small Harbor Freight trickle charges connected for a week. It destroyed the battery when it cooked all the water from the AGM battery. So, I never use a trickly charger now. The Deltran Battery Tender Jr is what I use now. You can leave them hooked up all the time if you want.
Second, since you say your bike is fuel injected, it probably has a computer and lots of sensors to talk to the computer. My Yamaha Majesty is that way and most bikes or cars that have computer controlled EFI sytems need at least 10 volts. Below that, or if some of the sensors (like the temp sensor or speed sensor) fails, they go into limp back mode to get you home, but run poorly.
What I would do is make sure your charging system is working by watching the volt meter if you have one. Mine usually shows 13.5 to 14 volts when running at cruise speed. If you don't have one, run on the center stand with a volt meter hooked to the battery. If charging seems OK, your battery probably is bad.
Good luck.