Thread: Drives
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2015, 09:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
My ride has a clutch & 5 gears but it is belt driven! Irish
The marvels of modern materials make such a final drive possible. Belt final drive is lighter, quieter than a chain, infrequent to non-existent adjustment or maintenance, IIRC durability/longevity comparable, if not superior to chain drive, BUT! it is not as efficient at transmitting power to the rear wheel as a chain drive. (though close enough for good enough) I also seem to recall... maybe it was just an opinion, but it was compared to be similar in efficiency or maybe slightly less and near equal in durability/longevity to shaft drive, but frequency of maintenance of shaft drive was a little more.

The final belt drives are of fixed ratio on cogged pulleys so there is no ratio changing movement of the belt on those pulleys since they are of fixed diameter. And, this is on motorcycles, not scooters.

I think the big Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter could benefit from a belt final drive instead of the whole series of same sized gears that delivers the power to the rear wheel of that scooter.(The CVT is integrated and closer to the engine proper than with other smaller conventional scooters)... Well maybe that is a subject for another place.... (Just thinking out loud)
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me