View Single Post
Old 04-20-2020, 07:02 AM   #28

And still...

Time for an update!

After cleaning up my piston and cylinderI ordered replacement gaskets for the head and base. Finally, a few days ago they arrived! Yesterday I went down to the scooter and installed them. I made sure the cylinder head was very smooth and that my gaskets were seated correctly. I got the piston back in the cylinder (NOT easy!) and got the head on top of the cylinder. I cranked down the four bolts that hold the cylinder and head in place. I put the spark plug in, I reattached the electrical connection to it. I re-attached the air filter (also NOT easy). I put the crank case cover back on the crank case. I put my key in the ignition. I said a prayer to some heathen gods. And I gave the kickstart a good solid push.

Nothing.

I checked the kill switch (that one has fooled me before) but it wasn't set to kill. I tried the kick starter a few more times. Nothing.

I checked the spark plug— apparently I hadn't tightened it down, had just put it in finger tight. I was sure I had found my problem! I tightened it down, re-attahed the electrical cable to it, and jumped on the kick starter.

And still... Nothing.

The kick starter is moving the piston in the cylinder, and I can smell gas, but there isn't anything like ignition happening inside there at all. I didn't mess with anything electrical other than removing, cleaning, and reinstalling the spark plug. But I am not getting even a glimmer of life from it now. It's like everything is in place, but the damn thing has chosen not to cooperate with me any longer.

Got any thoughts on that? I am exhausted and it is late and I am going to bed now. So, so disappointing.