View Single Post
Old 10-22-2017, 08:59 AM   #10

Hi Crawford The valve moved freely through the guide when I reassembled it and seemed like it was not sticking when I put it back in the HEAD as I had removed the cylinder head and cleaned the carbon out. You may be right about carbon in the guide though. I did not pay that a lot of attention. We had run some fuel additive in the gas and there was not much carbon on the head or piston. Trying to start the engine with Gunk Carb/Choke Cleaner aerosol spray had broken up even more carbon. It has all been removed. I have adjusted the exhaust valve when the Intake valve is open on the Intake stroke, and adjusted it when the Piston is at TDC. Once I try to start the engine with the electric start, the clearance closes up and the lock nut and set screw for the exhaust valve become very, very tight...even tighter than I had tightened it. That results in the valve being partially open. I do NOT overtighten it when I set it. I know better.
The engine STILL does not fire up or start. I may check the flywheel key today, even though I had set the timing initially with the head off the engine so I could see the piston, not just gauge it. I pulled the head to inspect the condition of the valves and springs and to clean the carbon.