View Single Post
Old 10-22-2017, 03:50 PM   #12

Crawford I love your questions. If the exhaust valve IS bent, it is very, very slight. Yes, I moved the valve up and down in the guide several times while the head was off. I noticed nothing wrong then; but you make a good point. Fooled with it today. The timing key on the flywheel was fine, the Intake valve was fine. Compression seems to be fine (between 160 and 170)...but that doggone exhaust valve still is losing its' clearance. I find when I adjust the valve clearance really wide, it seems to stay where I put it, but if I adjust it where it is supposed to be, it gets super tight and the valve is in the opening stage. I do NOT know exactly how much it is open, but it is not right at any rate. The engine still is not starting as I found the engine was NOT pulling enough vacuum to pull fuel OUT of the fuel tank through the vacuum operated petcock. I moved air back and forth through it and I think it is OK now.
The engine WILL run however as I had it running on carb cleaner for about 8-12 seconds a couple weeks ago.