View Single Post
Old 04-12-2020, 07:19 PM   #3

Yamaha and Suzuki love push rivets! Here's a low down on how they work. To remove, you push the center in about half-way, and you can remove the push rivet from the outer flange. To install, the center pin needs to be in the upper position, about half(ish) way out of the push rivet. You install the rivet assembly with the center about half(ish) out, then press the center pin flush to "lock" it in position.

Sometimes, when removing the push rivet, the center pin will be tight and you'll accidentally push it all the way thru, loosing it in the abyss of the panels. And sometimes the center pin does not want to go into the "insert" position, and will pop out of the rivet assembly when forced in the up position.

Center pin halfway depressed is un-lock.
Center pin halfway out is insert position.
Center pin flush is the locked position.

Hope this makes sense. If you damage them, some better (Taylors Do-It Center, LOWES) hardware stores sell them either in the hardware section OR a hidden section in the automotive fastener section. Also some motorcycle shops will sell a pack of 10 in various sizes. I hated those when I first encountered them, now I actually like them.

Login or Register to Remove Ads