View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 10:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carasdad View Post
The power wire for the CDI does not pass through your regulator/rectifier. The R/R has nothing to with spark. Gradual loss of spark usually points to the pickup coil just above your flywheel. Should be a blue or blue/white wire from your stator. Voltage should be about .5v to 1.0v. An anomaly with the pickup coil is that after a few firings or when they get warm from running...they lose voltage because the coil is faulty or stator voltage to them is irregular or too low.. This means your CDI may not be firing at the proper time i.e. late, at which time some of the current in CDI's capacitor has bled off giving you a weak spark. So get out your multimeter and check the pickup coil voltage.
Glenn
The pickup coil is new also, and has checked out ok. However, since your description fits the problem I'm having I'd say it was worth another look. Would a few seconds from a cold start (attempt at starting actually...) be enough time for the trigger coil to warm and fail? I haven't kept the starter running for more than 5-6 seconds at a time, and the drop occurs immediately. Also, if I try to start it again immediately afterwards, the power from the CDI doesn't start out at 30Vac, it starts either at 2Vac or slightly above. After sitting for a while (I've never noted how long it takes) then it will return to starting at 30Vac then dropping. That seems to fit in with what your saying if it can happen in that span of time.

Login or Register to Remove Ads