View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigit View Post
I've done an MPG re-calculation,
On Amazon you can find 2 stroke oils for ~$50/gal.
At 150MPG (for a 32-36T sprocket bike), a bike with direct sprocket and engine kit is more efficient than my TaoTao ATM50 scooter, which gets 99MPG.

It came down to,
my scoot: 24 miles per dollar
Bicycle + kit: 34 miles per dollar

@150MPG (I use a 32T rear sprocket for high MPG's), that means it costs me just over $4.41 / tank (1 gal tank).

While the scooter would do just over $4 per tank (1 gallon tank) and do 99 miles.
For 150 miles, the scoot would use just over $6.1

That means a saving of $1,6 every 150 miles (excluding oilchanges).
Including oil changes, on a period of 1500 miles, the bike would cost me just under $45 on fuel.
The scooter would cost me $61 on fuel, and additional ~$20 on oil changes, for a total of just under $81.
If you're riding 2000 miles a year, include tag renewal, and you're at $200 per year for the scooter.

For the bicycle, you're just at $90 per year. Add to that, a bicycle lock every 2 years, and you'll be running at half the price a scooter does!

Despite mixing expensive oil in the fuel system, it still comes out cheaper per mile, than a 4 stroke scooter.

It does have lower performance, and is less safe/reliable.

Initial purchase price:

Wallyworld bicycle: $160
Engine kit : $175
Custom 32T Sprocket: $35
2 Stroke oil, 1 gal: $48 (covers ~30 gallons of fuel mixture).
bicycle lock: $25
Good Saddle: $30
Front disc brake: $35
Total: $460.

Scooter:
Inintial purchase price + shipping: $800
Tag + registration + tax: $225
3 quarts of engine oil: $18
1 quart of transmission fluid: $ 9
Total: just over $1050

Even the initial purchase price is half of a scooter!

The only thing is, most people say, that these kits don't last very long. A good 8k miles tops.
Hi
Thats not always the case
If you spend the time money and effort you can get them to equal or even exceed a 4 t 50 cc scoot

Take care and ride safely dear friend
Yours Hank