View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #18

Exclamation The little train that could

Well here's the deal-e-o guys. When I started this little project, I epoxied in the sight glass. Then got sidetracked. I came back to the master cylinders a couple of weeks later and read JCT's post about compatibility of the glues. I decided to do a test on the epoxy I was using to seal up the sight glass. So I mixed up some and let it set 24 hours per the label to cure. Then I started my compatibility test. Immersed the cured epoxy in brake fluid and let it sit. Well in 3 days the epoxy was a gel sitting in the bottom of the brake fluid. So I figured that epoxy wasn't going to work. Best way to remove said epoxy? Soak in brake fluid! So I put the M/C (and another sight glass I stuck together from a motorcycle I'm working on) in a container of brake fluid. Well after about 2 weeks of soaking, no change in epoxy. Didn't even soften up. The difference was the cure time. So after 3+ weeks of cure time the epoxy is good to go on the sight glass. 24 hrs, no good, 3+ weeks, good. So if anybody is going to use the epoxy listed here, better let is sit and cure more than 24 hours. I used Permatex 5-minute Permapoxy.

JCT: As for getting M/C(s) for riding, it was too cold anyways. I still gotta finish the engine and fuel system first.
1980 Vespa Ciao
1967 Sears Allstate
Do I continue?

"Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose." Janis Joplin 1943-1970

Login or Register to Remove Ads