View Single Post
Old 10-21-2014, 11:53 AM   #8

For your type of use, yes, absolutely it would make sense

OK, from a strictly financial standpoint, a car tire would be superior. They usually cost less than motorcycle/scooter tires. The one I found to fit the Xciting is a bit better quality tire and comes in a size that probably has less than average demand. And likely because of that lower demand, it carries a higher price to stock those kind of tires. But still, not bad at all considering what you get for the money.

And, consider the fact that it carries a 40,000 mile tread wear warranty. For my Reflex, scooter rear tires would last from 6 to 8 thousand miles. (YMMV) I used a cheap car tire on my Honda Reflex the first time and it was on for 35,000 miles and could have gone a few thousand more; and it had no such wear warranty. That represents a tire that can last from about 4 to 6 times as long as a scooter tire. Easy enough to do the math.

About braking: Most of the braking is done by the front wheel, so the choice for the front tire is more important there as far as braking is concerned. (bike tire only; no car tire should be used on the front) For rear braking, considering that the rubber compound of car tires is softer/stickier than bike tires, (even more so in cold and wet conditions) it seems an easy choice for the rear.

OH, and about warranties; I presume you are talking about the bike? If so, then you will have to read the fine print about making modifications since a car tire is certainly a non-standard item. Insurance wise, I've never heard nor seen about any claims not being honored because of using a car tire on a bike. I think this has something to do with car tires being DOT certified. Can't be ticketed for it either since Federal standards for motorcycles and passenger vehicles (cars) don't differentiate between the 2.... You just have to be using DOT certified tires. (I looked to find out and see) That is considering we are talking about this in the USA. We are free to do that here in the USA. Car tires are illegal to put on bikes that are used on public roads in GB, but I don't know about the rest of Europe.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me