View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #38

Try to set the spark plug gap to 0.3mm; 0.3 or 0.4 (stock, from the factory they come at 0.635mm). On my ATM it works best at just over 0.254mm.

Good job on the idle adjustment!
You'll notice, that now, the idle is set correctly, but especially if it's set from the handle, and not the carb, that the idle will differ with temperature.
You'll have to adjust on the carb too.
You'll notice that now it might run well, but on a 50 mile trip on a hot day, your scoot might be idling at 2k RPM, and wants to go forward on a red light.
That's bad, so it needs to be re-adjusted after the cold days pass.

As for oil, depends on your temperature.
At below 60 degrees, 10W30, or 10W40 will work just fine.
below 80 degrees, 10W40 or 15W40 work fine.
above 80 degrees, 15W40 or 15W50.

Unlike many people's reviews, the only reason why to get dino oil in the breakin, is if the dino oil is cheaper. Any other reason is not valid. Mobil actually recommends it's synthetic oil even for breakin!
I personally did my ATM50 with synthetic, and had fabulous results, better than most other people!
If synthetic or semi-synthetic oil is the same price, get synthetic (because 90% of synthetic oil you'll find in the stores is actually dino oil, with synthetic stabilizers in, not actual 100% synthetic oil, unless it's like 2-3x the price).
Also at the breakin you'll be throwing away the oil WAY before it becomes bad.
You throw it away because it has particles in it (metal flakes, carbon,....).
But your oil will only be worn for less than 5-10%.

Anyway, Castrol, Valvoline, Mobil, all good brands.
There are few 100% synthetic oils out there, but IMHO they're a waste to use on a chinese scoot; because a tiny engine is just not handling super good oil very well like a large engine (a large engine could do way longer with fully synthetic oil than a scooter. On a scooter, regardless of oil life and condition, it still needs to be changed every 1000km's).