View Single Post
Old 06-05-2020, 04:12 PM   #1

little or no spark - questions about ignition coil

Hello Everyone: I have a Chinese 50cc engine with a number of D1E41QMB stamped on the motor. The actual engine is stampled “Dingoi” on the side cowling, and the name etched into the plastic body side panels is “Sun Ray”. The ignition coil that I have on the scooter is identical to an Ignition Coil for Qingqi QM50QT-B2 50cc 2-stroke scooter (See picture below).
Currently, I have a very weak spark and believe that the ignition coil is the culprit. When I measure the primary terminals of the coil with an ohm meter, I get infinity on the 200 ohm range. When I move the multimeter to the 20K range, I get 536 ohms, when the positive lead of the ohms meter is on the laminations post and the negative lead is on the male spade connector. However, when I reverse the ohm meter leads to the same connections, I get infinite resistance. This indicates to me that the coil seems to have a diode in the primary winding. The secondary coil resistance is 14.k ohms when I place the negative or positive lead of the ohm meter on the laminations post and place the other lead on the sparkplug wire. Once again, if I move the positive lead on the male spade connector post and negative lead on the sparkplug, I get infinite ohms.
So if anyone can assist me in the following questions:
1. Is the ignition coil that I have a special coil (Ignition Coil for Qingqi QM50QT-B2 50cc 2-stroke scooters) with an internal diode built into it? Do all coils have this internal diode built into the coil pack?
2. Can I use any ignition coil that is listed as a 50cc Chinese moped ignition coil? I know that I might have to address the physical mounting issues, but electrically speaking will any coil work?
3. I notice that some ignition coils have a green marking on one of the spade connectors. Does this mean anything?
4. I have notice that some ignition coils have the lamination connection go thru the body of the coil. Can I use one of them and only mount the coil pack using one side of the lamination pack?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6935.jpg (30.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6936.jpg (2.2 KB, 20 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads