View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 04:16 PM   #1

Starting problems. New starter, bendix, battery

Starting off this season with a fizzle.

Last year before winter I got a "100cc" bbk but I never got it farther than starting and idling.

The starter was beginning to go out when I put it away for the winter so I kept a mental note of that.

So far this year I rebuilt the bbk with new gaskets, studs, nuts, washers and a new torque wrench to make sure everything was ready to go, and I changed the battery to an agm, got a taida high torque starter, and a new starter bendix.

The problem I am having now is that where before the stock starter would just kind of chug and not turn it over fast enough to start the new starter setup will not engage for tmore than one revolution 95% of the time and when it does it gives only a few revolutions before spinning freely again.

See the video:

When it does happen to catch, the scooter will start and idle for a while.

I didn't get a chance to mess with the jets last year so it obviously needs to be tuned, but I can't very well do that if I can only start it 1 out of 100 tries.

I don't get it. The starter motor is very beefy and shouldn't have a problem at all, the engine isn't hard to turn over at all, you can turn it through a full cycle by hand pretty easily. The bendix is brand new, the old one gives the same problem. What else is there? Could the flywheel be bad somehow? Here are some pics. Anything look weird?

Login or Register to Remove Ads