Thread: Hello community
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 10:33 AM   #3

you can do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddarlington36 View Post
Hey there i'm new as you can tell hello all. I'm planning on getting a scooter in the next few months. I have tons of questions I think more specifically I'm looking at the 150cc Chinese gy6 scooters. Compared to my local dealerships its like $1600 for just a 50cc and around $2500 on up for the 150cc+ which I believe is a ripoff I've looked online and see you can actually buy a gy6 type for around $900 or so but I believe you have to assembly it as its not put together. How hard is it to put together what tools do you need, I'm pretty handy but no mechanic skill level. I've watched a ton of YouTube videos on the basics mostly what you should do first seems to be to change fuel vacuum lines add inline fuel shutoff etc.. The oil not sure if its shipped with actual oil in it or shipping oil and what kind of gear oil do you use

How hard is it to title register at the DMV a rough estimated of how much that costs and do you need a motorcycle license not so sure on that part.
Its not that hard to put together. You will need a few Metric and US Standard wrenches and sockets.
As for the Fluids you will have to change the fluid in the "transmission" and in the "engine", If I remember right I used the suggested 10w-40w motor Oil.
As for Vacuum lines you may have to change. I did replace on line between the carb and the intake manifold but that was my choice. I have two between the carb and intake butt that was my choice because I did not like the way the hose looked when it was under vacuum.
Also will caution on the Valves on a GY6, they do go out of adjustment and your machine may not start. But if I can adjust them well you can too.
Mine needed adjustment only after 174 miles. It takes 45 minutes to adjust the first time and even less with experience.
Don't freak if you scooter just quits most of the time you will see it is just a valve adjustment and also always run at least 90 octane gas. 87 has too much ethanol in it and it will eat your fuel lines or the diaphragm in the carb.
As for the DMV issue I took my paperwork that came with the machine and all went thru just fine.
Only thing I have read on folks having trouble registering the machine out in California because of their emission laws.
Best Regards,
Bonehead

Login or Register to Remove Ads