View Single Post
Old 01-01-2017, 11:15 PM   #1

Dim headlights and no voltage on yellow stator wire

Hey all, new member and first post. I want to start off by thanking everyone, this forum has helped me a lot fixing up my scoot. So I picked up what I believe is a SunL scooter, model sl150-21b. I've had it for about 2 months now and it has been running good, after initially dropping in a new carb, stator, and other small fixes. Since getting it running, I've had the dim headlight issue just as so many others have. At idle it's very dim, and of course when I rev they get nice and bright. They don't get bright/dim when I hit the brakes or flashers or anything like that, so that's less to worry about. I decided to take her apart and revisit the stator. Im running an 8 pole, 5 wire stator (3 wire plug with 2 separate wires). Everything seems fine, until I did a voltage check on the stator wires. I'm only getting ~11 volts ac from the white wire, no voltage from the yellow, no more than .5v ac on the blue/white pickup wire, and over 100v ac from the red/black power wire (roughly around 130-140 volts). I've seen a graph that shows the proper stator voltages, and it should be 50-100v on the power, 20v from the white, 15v from the yellow and up to 1.5v on the pickup trigger. I even put in a different stator and got the same result. It seems weird that there's no voltage on the yellow wire yet the ac powered lights still function. I also checked voltage at the regulator (4 pin). No voltage from the yellow, 11 volts ac from the white, and ~13v DC from the red wire. I just want my lights to not be so dim. Anyone knows what's going on and what I need to do to fix it? I have discovered looking around on the Web that there's apparently 2 kinds of 8 pole stators, floating ground and center tap. Still not 100% sure what the differences in use are, but it seems my stator is the floating ground type, as there is no coil wire connected with the ground, and there's only one coil wire with the yellow, unlike the center tap that has two.

Login or Register to Remove Ads