View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #1

First-time rider looking for gear...

I'm sure this topic gets posted a lot. I'm preparing to purchase my first scooter, and have seen enough to know that Safety is a priority on bikes. I intend to WEAR MY SAFETY GEAR at all times when riding, and would like to get any advise possible.

1. The helmet! I know this is a vital piece of equipment for any rider. I'll be purchasing a full-face helmet with face shield and wearing it any time I'm on the road. I assume I'll have to find a local shop to learn my size, but once I have that, I plan on ordering one online. Once I have the helmet, I plan to apply reflective tape for visibility, in the unlikely event that I end up driving at night.

2. Gloves: Not a problem here. Gloves are affordable and easy to obtain.

3. Boots: I understand that these are important. I'm purchasing a pair of over-the-ankle work boots and these will make good footwear for biking as well.

4. A Jacket: I anticipate this to be my most difficult bit of gear to select. I'm in Northeast Texas; during the summer, it gets very warm, easily over 100 degrees. I've read from a lot of users who have posted that wearing a proper bike jacket is actually cooler in the summertime. I would like a basic mesh-style bike jacket with the needed armor to help save my skin in the event of a slide, but am on a budget. I've seen the motocross style armor kits, but I would need a vampire-killing sword to wear one of those in public... Any recommendations on a good value in a breathable mesh jacket?

Login or Register to Remove Ads