View Single Post
Old 02-06-2018, 02:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfire View Post
Stock mufflers usually aren't very loud.
* An exhaust leak would make the bike louder.
* Buying it second hand from someone who put a piece of shit performance exhaust muffler on it (instead of the OEM engine muffler), would make the bike louder.
* Seldom mentioned in here, but a leak in the PAIR system hoses will also make the bike louder.
* A leak in the air intake system, before the carburetor, will also make the bike louder.
None of these defects would noticeably affect engine power, either (even the "performance" exhaust, on a 4-stroke machine they don't really impact engine operation).
They would LOVE my bike (2006 1200 Sportster with a trike kit) I have a( piece of shit ) performance exhaust system that the previous owner installed. My outlook is "They got used to me in NH with straight pipes! They can get used to me in my retirement village in Fla" Either that or give me the money for a NEW exhaust! The bike is basically (except for my mods ) the way that I got it at the dealer. Irish
PS I beg to differ that a "performance" exhaust system doesn't impact engine operation! I built MANY a drag bike ( in NH) & I had time slips to back up my thought! We have a 15 MPH speed limit in the retirement community.