View Single Post
Old 01-18-2020, 07:36 AM   #1

50cc TaoTao won't start

Hi all, thanks for any help.

I acquired this scooter in an as-is condition so I am getting what I deserve.

Just because I had a brand new one handy, I replaced the carburetor. First, I did disconnect the fuel line and cranked it and got fuel flow (so I established that I have vacuum and a good fuel cock). That didn't help so I switched to the spark side. I determined that I'm not getting any spark. (By removing the plug and cranking while the threaded part of the plug as touching the engine) so I then replaced the spark coil, the CDI and the plug (because I got a good deal on all three at a large online retailer). Still not getting any spark.

One problem... the original CDI had the regular connectors, 4 pin and 2 pin, but also had 2 extra wires which were crimp spliced to 2 wires from the scooter. I can't trace the two wires. I also can't find any CDI's with the extra 2 wires in any online market place and I also can't find any Chinese scooter schematics that show the 2 extra wires.

What's next? Thanks, Jim

EDIT: I just remembered another symptom that might be very important. The start button doesn't work. So far I have been shorting the solenoid to get it to crank. I did take off the cowlings to check for loose or broken wires, but I didn't do any electrical tests with my multi-meter.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by okrobie; 01-19-2020 at 07:39 AM.