View Single Post
Old 03-09-2014, 11:53 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castle View Post
im far from a closed mind, im a design major
You're a design major. Take it from an aerospace engineer. A 150cc GY6 simply will not make 12-14 hp. My Sym Wolf is 150cc and has 14.69 hp and redlines at 9500 rpm. In order to make the GY6 150cc to output similar power without going BBK you'd need to do some pretty serious mods, essentially turn it into the higher compression higher revving engine that my SYM has. But you do those power mods and your engine life will go down the tubes. Most people will be thrilled to get more than 15,000 miles out of their bbk'd Chinese GY6's that do put out 12 hp and they still don't have the higher redline and 14 hp of my SYM 150cc.

It has been done, like the new "Lambrettas" with the 4 valve heads, but those Lambretta Uno 150's have only about 13 hp and like the Genuine's are made to a higher spec. They're not cheap Chinese GY6's but Taiwanese made upgraded GY6's and of course they command higher prices for their higher quality.

And unless you improve the cheap Chinese metallurgy. It's not going to be as reliable. SYM's engines are regularly known to go 80,000 miles before wearing out, Vespa's would too if people decided to actually ride them instead of posing for photos in front of coffee shops as I know the Piaggio Fly 150's have reports of such high miles in Australia, Hondas well we all know they'll run forever. Nobody on this board will claim their GY6 150cc engines can get to those kinds of miles even as much as we love our Chinese scooters, we'll readily admit their faults and downsides.