View Single Post
Old 04-02-2020, 10:22 PM   #22

Clutch!

So when I reassembled the gear box and re-attached the clutch, v-belt, and variator, the problem continued. But I figured out what was causing it: for some reason, when I screw down the nut on the clutch bell, it causes the rotation of the rear wheel to rotate the entire clutch (as though I had the engine on and was driving). When I loosened this nut, the bell stopped rotating and the rear wheel could rotate freely (and didn't cause the piston to move). It seems something about my clutch and its bell is (right now) causing it to be continually engaged, but whatever it is, it isn't the tightness of that nut alone: I know that the nut has to be screwed down SUPER tight to ensure the bell doesn't come loose inside the crank case! Maybe I am missing a washer somewhere (don't remember there being one to lose, though).

But whatever that problem is, I am considering it minor (for now) compared to the weirdness I experienced while driving a few days ago and the way my engine died in a lean seize on the way home. Haven't opened up the cylinder or tried to remove the piston yet, but am thinking maybe that is going to be next. Any advice on that is welcome!