View Single Post
Old 02-24-2016, 09:03 AM   #6

This scooter since I bought it has always been lazy on starting (long crank times). It is definitely a fuel related issue. As this thread shows I rebuilt the crab after letting it sit, but it was clean which implied there was not enough fuel in the float bowl to start with.

I have checked and cleaned the float bowl drain valve attached to the CVT cover, thinking that it might be leaking overnight, but that is not the case.

The fuel filter is clean and flows freely so now I am considering the possibilities of gum / varnish build up in the lines and more probably the vacuum operated fuel pump as possibly not supplying enough fuel.

A good test would be some cleaner run through the system such as BG 44K, but that even correctly blended might do damage to the pump rubber parts. I use Lucas Top Engine Oil, but that is mostly an upper cylinder lubricant not a cleaner of gum & varnish.

Does anyone have a recommendation that they are sure when blended properly will not damage the fuel pump rubber parts, but might clean the potential gum and varnish?