View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 09:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by digginLA View Post
Hey Glenn, I only bought a new carb because after I took off the original I noticed that it was sealed and did not have screws to get into the tank to clean the jets. So I just bought a new one slapped it on and it worked before I put on the new air filter the next day.

Two things I discovered since my last post.
1. After adjusting the A/F screw I noticed the engine does not die when the screw is turned all the way (clockwise). In fact it has little effect whichever way i turned it. The pilot in the new carb is #35

2. I went to Sears and bought a screw and bolt remover to get into the old carb and I was able too! The main jet is only #103 and I have no idea how to determine the pilot jet size?? There isn't a number on it?!?

So I guess I am going to clean the old carb jets and try the pilot in the new carb. I hope to do this tomorrow but Los Angeles is finally getting much needed rain.
Eww..those @#$^! sealed carbs..is that not annoying?? Yeah many just buy a new one in that instance..but as ya found out..you can get those useless shear screws out! As for the pilot jet..should be marked..but many are not. New jet is a #35? I usually find a #38 in 150 carbs. Turning the A/F screw all the way in all the way out..with zero results..means that by you trying to make it richer..you can't..because the pilot jet is apparently to lean already..so you can't make it richer even if all the way out. Soo Sir. I would put the pilot jet from your old carb in the new one..and bet you notice at least some difference AND adjust-ability.. Changing the filter to free flow types does affect even the pilot jet because..it runs on vacuum..and a free flow filter decreases that vacuum. Anyway....let's try this..use the 'old' pilot jet in the carb..tinker with A/F screw and we will see if it gets better. I have faith that it will..

Login or Register to Remove Ads