View Single Post
Old 06-05-2020, 12:30 PM   #3

I thought the scooter was running again. Was it running and stopped? If so, how did it die? Slowly or suddenly? Did you even fix the exhaust gasket?

If you continued to run it without a exhaust gasket there is a chance one of the metal reed pedals broke/cracked/split. If a metal reed pedal fails it will make the motor loose compression and not destroy the piston OR destroy the piston. If the reed chips off behind the piston it will destroy the piston and main bearings.

Or did you have a air leak in the system causing a soft seize? You can rent a leak tester for free from a auto parts store. Watch a few You Tube videos on how to do a compression test and a leak down test. I have a homemade compression/leak down tester made out of one of those pulse check things you put on your arm.

Be aware that reed pedals never seal tight on the reed cage. It's totally normal for them to be warped. I'm currently running super stiff reeds to counter the affect of a 4 stroke atomizer, and they are warped like crazy. The scooter runs 100% and strong.

Two stroke motors are sensitive to air leaks on the intake side. Also to air box being properly sealed. And having the exhaust sealed against the cylinder.

I highly suggest doing a compression/leak down test. Hardest part is finding the right size freeze plug to seal the exhaust port. I can't read the size anymore on my freeze plug because I replaced the washer with a different one, so I can't suggest a size.

Login or Register to Remove Ads